Saturday, January 30, 2010

I Read My First Twilight, So Does That Make Me a "Twi-Tard?"

Oh my gosh, two posts in one day? This won't be the usual, but I felt the need to express my opinion on Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer before it subsided.

Honesty, I started reading the first one recently not knowing what to expect. I finished it today. A part of me fully expected them to be awful, but at the same time people for whom I generally respect their opinion really liked it.


My feelings on it: it was okay. It definitely knows who to make a girl secretly swoon and want her own Edward. The way it was written in the first person view point was enjoyable and an easy read. But other than those two things I wasn't really inspired by it.


This book seems to have many of the same pitfalls much entertainment media has today. The emotions portrayed by the characters are so fake. The book in my opinion gives girls that unrealistic picture and hope often portrayed in movies. The idea of a perfect love and undying affection. This most assuredly accounts for many young girls and some women's unrealistic expectations of love. In dating this causes much frustration to the possible partners that will never be an Edward. Love is something that is cultivated over a long period of time. No one will think that your poo never stinks. While all of us, especially women, have that desire to be loved fully and unequivocally, it just isn't a realistic prospect. These perfect snap shots in entertainment media are jading reality and our expectations. Not that is a bad thing every once in a while to escape the real world, but I can't help but feel Twilight takes it a little too far.


Another thing that particularly bugged me can be summed up in this quote; "Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity...Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend," by Andrew Futral who I believe is aspiring artist out of New York. Of course Twilight has some good messages, but comparatively to other young adult books, like Harry Potter, I do feel that the lessons learned fall short.


And like the lessons learned the lack of the deep, questioning thought is disappointing. What I found disappointing is Meyer didn't draw more attention to ideas like what makes one truly human? Does one have to be human to truly be human?

Anyways, I am done criticizing. I have only read one book thus far so I can't judge completely yet. I hope it develops a little more in the other books. I am looking forward to a more rounded plot and characters. These flat characters and flat plot isn't tickling my fancy. Some more foreshadowing and more of other literary elements would be welcome as well.
Okay, now I am really done!


4 comments:

Caty said...

I am glad you read it. People who slam the books without reading them first have no substance for their opinions. I loved the books because they entertain me. I also don't like how it claims to portray "love" when really it is portraying infatuation.

But... it's just a book and I didn't read it with the expectation of a grand message like Harry Potter!

Tasha Early said...

I agree with everything you said! We're reading the last one now (and have been for about 3 months), and I'll be glad when we finish. I'm craving something that will provoke more emotion (I love to cry to a good book), or at least has some clever/humorous/deep/thought-provoking literary substance! I'm also reading Another Roadside Attraction, which is...well...my kind of book; although I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone (it's PACKED with eroticisms and F-bombs; not that that's what makes it my kind of book. ha.)...

Gail said...

I forgot to mention that in Twilight I do appreciate a different view point on vampires. At first i thought the sparkely skin was silly when I saw the movie (but I haven't seen teh second), but after reading rhe book I appreciate those little tidbits.

And Tasha, I will put that book on the read list. I don't know if I will like the erotica and such, but if it thought provoking it has my interest. Thanks the recommend!

Tasha Early said...

ooh. I don't know that it's thought-provoking in the way that i made it sound...It's more about how the author uses unconventional ways of expressing his opinions without coming right out and saying it. Very clever writing!